Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Working it out...

I'm in week 4 of training and have been told that the further you get in training the more you need to get your sleep. I love to read before bed so I've been getting into bed around 9 start reading and then usually fatigue around 9:45. Last week I was having the weirdest night sweats, like would wake up and check to see if I had spilled my glass of water on my pillow or if that was from me, and my cup was full! I keep turning the thermostat lower and lower and poor Tyson is putting up with it. I had it turned down to 63 degrees I then put on my softest socks and crawl into bed. Tyson HATES socks in bed so he's having to put up with that too, he hates even touching them, it's pretty funny!

Anywho last night I was sleeping great and 5:45 am came too quickly, since it's so cold it makes it even harder to get out of bed. I knew I had an hour run to get in and a swim so I couldn't hit the snooze. I grabbed my robe and left. I have a new routine of putting all my workout gear etc in the guest room so I don't have to get ready in the dark, I don't know why it took me so long to figure that one out, had to learn the hard way of working out with my shirt inside out or backwards too many times! Another new thing I have learned is to put my running workout before the swim. I used to dread getting out of bed because you have to get in the cold to get to the cold pool, nothing about that seemed worth leaving my warm down comforter. So now I get my run in, get real hot and sweaty then when I jump in the pool it feels great and it makes my legs feel better! It's funny what I've learned these last three weeks of training, I know when I can have the cycle room to myself, get a lane in the pool, what days the cafe special is egg and cheese quesadilla etc.

When I jumped in the pool it felt great, with my legs feeling stiff it felt good to kick around. However I don't know if it's the soreness or what but my technique or something is off. I was flapping way to much today, plus the warm up called for a few laps of back stroke which is no good for a couple reasons...1.) In the 3rd grade when I was in USS Swim my coach put me in the backstroke, which I hated and I managed to drill my head on the wall extremely hard, so now I just put my arms out and kick half the lap so that never happens again. 2.) when I do actually try to do the "back stroke" I look like a submarine merging because my body is underwater but my limbs are moving, not how it's supposed to look. I was already feeling off but I was also feeling very thirsty, I forgot to bring a water bottle and had just ran for an hour and was now halfway into my swim workout and couldn't stop thinking about how thirsty I was. I scanned the area for a drinking fountain and found one, I hopped out took a drink and as I came back to get back in the pool I couldn't figure out if I should jump in or dive in. There is a ton of people in the pool area and I was at the deep end side so I figured the dive might look more graceful...wrong. I had my goggles on and when I hit the water it felt more like a belly flop, something kinked in my leg, my goggles flung up and it felt and looked miserable. I decided my workout should just be done. I just doggy paddled to the other end and got out.

Even though I am still learning and still doing crazy things, I'm feeling more confident in my training and I think I'll be good to go at the end of July for the half-ironman. I just gotta keep working it out...

No comments:

Post a Comment