Thursday, February 25, 2010

Thankful.

I’m on week 2 of a 20-week training plan to get me to the half-ironman in Chisago this summer. I don’t know what it is but I have been seriously lacking motivation to get up and get my workouts in. I just trudge in each morning and with absolutely no enthusiasm I get the workout done. Still tired and little cranky leaving the gym, which isn’t how it’s supposed to be.

I thankfully got my workouts out in yesterday morning, short 30 minute run which my legs felt like lead the entire time from running too fast on Monday night. Then off to the pool to get a quick swim in.

I have a child like idol at Lifetime (very different then my crush on Kristin A.) and I see her every morning. I think she’s a swim coach but she also gets her workouts done the same time as I. This woman just glides through the water totally effortless. As I am in the next lane working soo hard my lungs are about to burst but nonetheless going NOWHERE! I look like a caught crappie trying to get off the hook while being reeled in. Not to mention (which Tyson thinks is the real reason she’s my idol) she has the highly coveted Ironman finisher water bottle. I get so self-conscious swimming next to hear I rationalize the entire time different reasons why my workout needs to be done. So yesterday I left the pool feeling defeated and just wishing I could swim like her. Which I know sounds crazy but if you know me it’s pretty normal☺.

Tuesday night Tyson was reffing a basketball game at Heritage Academy, which is right next door to us so I thought I would go surprise him, and watch him ref. I of course got lost for half an hour trying to find it, which is pretty typical, but the fact the school is only a few miles from our house it was pretty amazing I could get my self that lost in such a short distance! As I pulled in I stopped to ask a couple getting out of their van if I was at the right place. They told me I was, and something about them just made me smile. They were so sweet and so energetic to help and just had sweetness to them. As I was walking into the building I saw they had gotten a wheel chair out and were loading someone into it. I figured it was a grandparent and just kept walking in.

As I was sitting in the bleachers I see this couple coming in all grins, when I realized it wasn’t a grandparent but their son who looked to be my age. He looked to have cerebral palsy, and was somewhat high functioning but I couldn’t stop thinking about the everyday struggles that family endures and what that must put on a marriage. I instantly thought about my attitude lately and realized how thankful I am to have an able body that is sore from working out and not pain from being in a wheel chair struggling everyday with an illness. Things like that totally put my whole life view in perspective. How much I am to be thankful for and how little I have to complain about. I guess I won’t comp

I woke up this morning with a little less crankiness and with more thankfulness I can get up and go the gym. Which is good because I’m going to need to do a lot of that….

I almost forgot to mention how cute Tyson looked in his reffing gear. I could not stop smiling watching him, it was too much fun! The game took over two hours so instead of going home and trying to find something to eat he let me go to my favorite place for fajita night. Which reminds me…so I am sitting in our booth and I see this guy across the restaurant, he looked JUST like one of my good friends through jr and sr high Matt Carlson. I haven’t seen him in forever but know he lives near Plymouth so I was pretty sure it was him. I told Tyson as we were leaving I was going to go say hi to Matt, so as we are walking out I stop at his booth and just stare at him (akward) and still debating whether it was him I just stood and smiled and he goes “I haven’t seen you in forever” so I grab his soldier about to hug him but something about his voice was not familiar so I go “your not Matt Carlson are you” and he’s like “nope”. I felt soo stupid and didn’t know what to do so Tyson finally came back and got me, made a joke and we were out of there. You had to be there to see how awkward and hilarious it was.

I’ll leave you on a good note…

No comments:

Post a Comment